Adapted from New Basics Cookbook
1 T olive oil
2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or 2 spoons of pre-chopped garlic)
2 large red bell peppers, cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 can (35 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, with their juice (whole; chopped is OK too)
1 1/2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
2 T chili powder (or less, to taste; start with 1 T and work your way up)
1 T ground cumin
1 T dried basil
1 T dried oregano
2 t ground black pepper
1 t salt
1 t fennel seeds
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1 C canned dark red kidney beans, drained
2 T lemon juice
Sour cream, cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, scallions, croutons
1. Spray large (nonstick) skillet with Pam (or other cooking spray); place over medium heat and then add zucchini. Sauté until just tender, 5-7 minutes (may take longer). Transfer zucchini to large pot.
2. Place oil in skillet and sauté the onions, garlic, and bell peppers until just wilted, about 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to the large pot.
3. Place pot over low heat. Add canned tomatoes and juice, fresh tomatoes, all the spices, and the parsley. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for about 30 minutes.
4. Add kidney beans and lemon juice; cook for another 15 minutes (or longer, to desired softness). Stir well, and adjust seasonings to taste.
5. Serve with bowls of optional toppings.
Makes four servings of 250 calories each, not including optional toppings.