Adapted from Moosewood Cooks at Home
10 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 c boiling water
1 1/2 c chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp ground cumin
3 c undrained canned diced tomatoes (28 oz can)
4 c undrained cooked black beans (2 16-oz cans)
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
sour cream (optional)
1. In a small bowl, cover the sun-dried tomatoes with the boiling water and set aside (overnight is ok); drain and chop the tomatoes and reserve the water
2. In a soup pot, sauté the onions, garlic, and cayenne in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the cumin, 1/3 c of the sun-dried tomato water, and the tomatoes
4. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes
5. Add black beans and their liquid and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
6. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes to the soup and cook 5-10 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir in cilantro and remove soup from heat.
7. Puree half the soup in a food processor, and return it to the pot. Reheat gently.
8. Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional)
204 calories, 10.8 g protein, 3 g fat, lots of fiber