1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 (14.5-ounce) cans unsalted diced tomatoes
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tbsp garam masala ... or
1 teaspoon ground cumin1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
1 cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups cooked brown basmati rice
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic to pan; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes; bring to a simmer, and cook 3 minutes.
3. Combine 1/3 cup water and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
4. Add flour mixture, garam masala, paprika, curry powder, salt, and pepper to pan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute.
5. Place chicken thighs in a 6-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Add tomato mixture to slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook on LOW 7 hours or until chicken is very tender and sauce has thickened.
7. Turn slow cooker to HIGH; uncover and add coconut milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes.
8. Turn cooker off; stir in cilantro. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve over rice. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt.
Fat 13.5 g
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrate 46 g
Fiber 5 g
Iron 3 mg
Sodium 686 mg
Calcium 80 mg
Sugars 12 g