Adapted from an Allrecipes.com recipe
1 1/2 c warm water
2 T dry milk powder
2 T vegetable oil
2 T molasses
2 T honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c white flour
1 c whole bran cereal
3-4 T vital wheat gluten
2 tsp active dry yeast
3-4 T crushed flax seed
1. Place in bread machine in order shown, through yeast.
2. Set on dough and press start; after 30 minutes, turn off bread machine.
3. Add flax seed and start bread machine from beginning (1 1/2 hours on dough setting); the extra mixing will allow the dough to rise more.
4. When dough setting is completed, spray loaf pan with Pam and place dough in pan.
5. Place in cool oven for 1 hour. If dough hasn't risen sufficiently, turn oven on 200 F and let rise for 30 minutes (including while oven is heating).
6. Leaving loaf pan in oven, turn oven to 350 F and set timer for 35 minutes.
7. Turn oven off but leave loaf in oven for 5 more minutes.
8. Set loaf pan on cooling rack for 5 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and let cool completely on cooling rack.
Note: if your bread
machine has a time-delay setting, you can prep this overnight by putting the yeast and powdered milk in last. Make an
indent in the flour and carefully add the yeast and powdered milk to the
indentation, so they don't touch the water until mixing begins.