3 tablespoons olive oil
One onion diced
One green bell pepper seeded cored and diced 1/4 inch
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 cups chopped canned Italian tomatoes, drained
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons mango chutney
4 carrots halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Idaho potatoes, 8 ounces each, peeled and diced one half inch
One cauliflower trimmed and cut into small florets
2 tablespoons honey
One cinnamon stick
One can chickpeas rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons currants
Salt and pepper to taste
Quarter cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley for garnish
Cooked white rice
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over low heat; add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent - about 10 minutes.
2. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for the flavor to mellow. about one minute.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, broth, chutney, carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, honey, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir the chickpeas, currants, salt, and pepper, then cook for five minutes longer.
5. Just before serving, remove the cinnamon stick and stir in parsley. Serve in shallow bowls over rice.
Serves eight. Per serving, without the rice: 290 cal, 49 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 8 g fat, no cholesterol.