Adapted from BHG Fast Fix One Dish Meals
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c sifted powdered sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c butter, softened
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel*
3/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13" pan with foil; grease foil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the 2 c flour, 1/2 c powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender or large metal whisk, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Press the flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 min. until edges are golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, make filling: in a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and milk.
5. When crust is done baking, pour filling over hot crust and bake in 350F oven for 15-20 minutes (or more) until the center is set.
6. Cool on a wire rack and sift powdered sugar over top. Cover and store in fridge.
* When I don't have fresh lemon peel/zest, I've used dried orange peel. Adds a nice, mild citrus flavor to the bars (note: also gives them a bit of a freckled look). I've also used a combination of lemon and lime juice or lemon and orange juice, when I've been low on lemon juice. Works just as well -- just provides a different flavor.