Adapted (and lightened!) from allrecipes.com; serves 24.
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1 tablespoon salt
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp margarine (I use pareve/lactose free)
1 cup granulated sugar AND 1 cup Splenda (or, for those who don't like sucralose, 2 c sugar)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water, drain, and puree.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
4. Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
5. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Nutrition info (based on adapted recipe)
114 calories, 3 g fat. 1 g fiber (2 WW pts per slice, not including frosting)